Elgaard Architecture wins competition for a new organ to Lyngby Kirke
Elgaard Architecture has won the invited competition for a new organ and organ gallery to Lyngby Kirke, north of Copenhagen. The concept design forms the basis for the detailed design of a new organ with 20 stops (voices). The parochial church council has stressed the importance of the new visual expression of the organ and organ gallery being either a complement or a qualified contrast to the church’s new altarpiece, created by sculptor Christian Lemmerz (see the altar here).
Transformation of Danish Distillers’ Works in Aalborg
For Realdania, in collaboration with BIG and Balslev Lindgaard, ELGAARD Architecture has carried out preliminary feasibility studies and programming of the listed Danish Distillers’ Works in Aalborg, Denmark. The individual buildings and the layout of the factory have been analysed to clarify where and how appropriate functions should be located within appropriate facilities with respect for the factory’s authenticity and bearing architectural and historical values. The project’s landmark created by Argentine artist Tomás Saraceno will be the artwork Cloud City, which consists of 68 glass cubes, each measuring 4.5 meters in diameter. When assembled, the artwork will reach a height of 30m. Visitors will be able to enter the artwork through the roof of one of the existing buildings on the factory.
We are prequalified to Lyngby City Hall
Teamed up with COWI A / S, ELGAARD Architecture has been prequalified for the assignment as client consultant on the renovation of the Lyngby Taarbæk Municipality Town Hall. The assignment also involves merging of the administrations.
Lyngby Town Hall, located in Kongens Lyngby north of Copenhagen, is the town hall of Lyngby-Taarbæk Municipality. The town hall was built in 1939-1942 and was designed by architects Hans Erling Langkilde and Ib Martin Jensen. The modernist and characteristic, concave shaped building is clad in Greenlandic marble.
In total, five teams have been pre-qualified for the competition.
Opening of the new Experimentarium
On January 25, 2017 HRH Crown Prince Frederik inaugurated the new Experimentarium in Hellerup. After temporarily having been situated in Copenhagen’s inner harbour for three years, Experimentarium has now moved back to its original, but expanded facilities in Tuborg Harbour.
The new Experimentarium has been expanded by nearly 10,000 m2 consisting of new exhibition spaces, better facilities for the public and better areas for employees in offices, development laboratories and workshops. In addition, a new 2000 m2 large exhibition terrace on the roof with views over Copenhagen will strengthen Experimentarium as an all-year attraction.
ELGAARD Architecture has been client consultant for Experimentarium since its establishment in the Tuborg Breweries’ former bottling hall more than 25 years ago. In the context of the current expansion, which was designed by Cebra, we have been responsible for user collaboration processes in relation to the construction program, dialogue with foundations, development and implementation of the international architecture competition, as well as client advisor throughout the entire building process, from construction start to inauguration.
New employee: Maria Saxe Hansen
We are very happy that Maria Saxe Hansen has joined our team at ELGAARD Architecture. Maria holds a master in architecture from the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts and comes from a position as advisor and architect at Lekolar Leika A/S. We look forward to collaborating!
We are pre-qualified for the restoration of Fasangården, Frederiksberg Garden
Teamed up with Gjøde & Povlsgaard Arkitekter and Edouard Troelsgård Consulting Engineers we have been pre-qualified for the restoration and refurbishment of Fasangården in Frederiksberg Garden, Copenhagen. The building owner, The Danish Agency for Culture and Palaces, wishes to transform Fasangården, and its garden and courtyard, into an eatery/tea garden with associated external functions such as the dissemination of the property’s history, open artist workshops and a farm shop. Fasangården was built and expanded during the period 1724 – 1827. The main house interiors and plan are extremely worthy of preservation, and the house is perceived as an original, classical building, where no major changes have been made since 1828.
Welcome Julian Jahn
We are very happy that Julian Jahn has joined our team at ELGAARD Architecture. Julian comes from a position at Rubow Architects, and he is an accomplished technical project manager with extensive experience in both new and existing buildings. We look forward to collaborating!
Skagen Lighthouse inaugurated
After three years of extensive refurbishment and transformation, Skagen Lighthouse (The Grey Lighthouse) has now been inaugurated. Based on the identified heritage assets the listed lighthouse complex has been converted to a nature experience center and field station focusing on birds and bird migration. Elgaard Architecture has designed the building program and the program outline in close cooperation with Realdania Build as building owner and Nature Agency, Frederikshavn Municipality, Turisthus North and the Danish Ornithological Society as tenants and stakeholders.
Stenløse Vicarage: Refurbishment of a “Bedre Byggeskik”-building from 1923
The refurbishment of Stenløse Vicarage is completed. The building from 1923 has been carefully restored to its original expression. Click flooring, linoleum flooring and linoleum-covered stairs, thick-paned windows and narrow, wooden floorboards have been replaced with solid, soap-treated pine planks and new windows. Dark suspended wooden ceilings, 1980’s structured wall paper with several layers of glossy plastic paint have been removed, and all woodwork as well as the original lath and plaster walls and ceilings have been restored and painted. The colour scheme is based on the architectural paint research, but a lighter palette has been chosen for a more contemporary look.
Frederiksberg Church: First gallery has now been removed
At Frederiksberg Church the lower balcony – the so-called first gallery – has now been removed. The first gallery was added c 45 years after the church’s inauguration due to a shortage of seating, and its removal is one of the major interventions of the current restoration project. By removing the first gallery the church is brought back to a previous period, which functionally will improve the view to the altar and pulpit from the seating on ground floor. The intervention will also improve the amount of daylight within the church significantly, and strengthen its geometrical qualities and as well as its overall architectural expression.