2016 | Stenløse, Denmark
Project: Restoration and refurbishment of Stenløse Church Vicarage
Bygherre: Stenløse Parochial Church Council
Area.: 324 sqm.
Architect: ELGAARD Architecture
Type: Restoration and refurbishment
Architectural service: Full service consultancy
In the centre of Stenløse, Stenløse Church is situated high above town on a little hill sloping mainly towards east and north. In the immediate vicinity is Stenløse Church Vicarage, where the rural dean of Frederikssund, thereby the minister of Stenløse Church has his residence. Originally, there was a timber framed three-winged farm with a thatched roof originated form the 18th century. In the beginning of the 20th. century, the farm burned down and the present clergy house was built in 1923. The vicarage is worthy of preservation and erected on the principles of the Bedre Byggeskik concept which was developed as a movement in 1915 gaining great influence on Danish architecture.
The outer and inner disposition of the building has not been changed considerably since its erection. The significant change is that the inner staircase leading to the first floor has been moved from the entrance hall to a room by the kitchen in the northward part of the building. In the same part of the building a pantry and laundry room have been included in the existing kitchen, so that the kitchen of the vicarage today appears spacious with a prospect for a dining area. Two of the main living rooms facing the garden have been joined together to create a larger living room.
The entire first floor has been designed with bedrooms and a bathroom; previously only one master bedroom within the frontispiece along with two rooms at each gable. The remainder of the first floor functioned as a drying loft and was not decorated. Originally, the rooms on the first floor were not heated. The living rooms down stairs were heated by wood burning stoves or tiled stoves. Today the whole house has central heating.
In the 1970s, the majority of the rooms were fitted with suspended ceilings and the flooring of the building consisted of a number of different materials ranging from laminate flooring to linoleum and narrow, over the years corroded, plank flooring.
During the refurbishment, all suspended ceilings have been removed and the old lath and plaster ceiling have been repaired: cracks have been scraped out, sealed with lime mortar and finally painted.
All flooring in the building have been replaced with new solid pinewood planks.
After purging the walls from the layers of paint and old wallpaper, the original border between the ceilings and the walls appears to be ca 20 cm down the wall, which was period architecture for the 1920s and contributing to a lighter and visually higher ceilinged room. Revealing the original wall surfaces have showed that the colour palette of the time was particularly dark and executed in traditional colour pigments.
In connection with the refurbishment, the colours for the walls will be chosen following the same principals, though in a brighter nuance.
On the exterior, the ridge of the building and the masonry of the chimneys have been refurbished. The plastic gutters of the 1990s have been replaced by new handmade zinc gutters and chutes. The main stairs of the building have also been refurbished, like the old lamp and bell on either side of the front door which have carefully been restored by the smith.