FLSmidth’s original 1956 domicile is a strong architectural work by the Danish architects Kay Fisker and Palle Suenson, characterised by a very high quality in both its entirety, its details, architectural expression and choice of materials. The conservation plan for the domicile, which Elgaard Architecture drew up, described all the supporting qualities of the existing plant and the framework within which the domicile might be developed and expanded. The project wasn’t carried out, though.
COWI, GHB Landskabsarkitekter
Vigerslev Allé 77, 2500 Valby
FLSmidth – From Steam to Cement
The company was founded in 1882 by machine designer Frederik Læssøe Smidth (1850-99) under the name of Technical Bureau, which traded with steam and milling machines. In 1887, the engineers Alexander Foss and Poul Larsen joined the company as co-owners, and the name was changed to F.L. Smidth & Co.
The company later changed its focus to cement manufacturing. In order to study the fabrication in practice and develop the technology, the Aalborg Portland-Cement-Factory was built in 1889. During the 1890s, F.L. Smidth & Co. developed and acquired several more patents for cement production.