The Five Halds
Elgaard Architecture achieved a 2. place in the competition to create an overall communications plan for the area’s ruins, moat and other culture trails. The project focused on the restoration of the landscape, ruin and Hald barn, which we suggested be converted into a communications centre for the area’s cultural and natural history.
2. place for competition brief in cooperation with Schønherr (2. place), master plan – restoration and interpretation
Schønherr (landscape), 2+1 (communications), Viborg Ingeniørerne
Hald, Powerful People and Nature
For centuries, Hald has been a centre of power. In the Middle Ages, the area was home to a fortification and several castles, such as the knight Niels Bugge’s, and, in the 18th century, a thatched manor house with a park in Baroque style and a Romantic garden facing Hald Lake.
The fifth and present Hald Manor was built around 1787 by the magistrate and chamberlain Frederich Schinkel (1719-94), who was the lord of the manor in the period 1750-94.
The visualisation to the left shows the large landscape axis.
Old Barn with New Significance
The great value at Hald Manor’s barn lies in the authenticity of the room and its open nature. To reinforce these conditions, we suggested that the toilets be placed in a free-standing box in the middle of the room. This would allow the visitor to get the full experience of the room’s impressive expanse and visible construction. The existing driveways were proposed as the main access road, and behind the gates the idea was to establish facade sections in steel and glass so that the gates might remain open and invite the audience inside.
We suggested nine communications stations inside the barn. One station, the nuclear station, should provide the overall view of the landscape of power. The other eight stations would each describe a piece of the main story and the landscape of power. In this way, the visitor would be able to navigate between time and place and keep an overview of the many layers of history.