The New Carlsberg Foundation’s Headquarters
The headquarters of the New Carlsberg Foundation, the Brewer’s Estate in central Copenhagen, was refurbished and altered to make it an up-to-date workplace with a focus on transparency, cooperation, art and the communication of the work of the Foundation. By including the top floor and rethinking the functions of the house, Elgaard Architecture has sharpened the architectural expression to highlight the identity and the history of the building to a larger extent. This in turn supports the DNA, purpose and very informal structure of the New Carlsberg Foundation.
Elgaard Architecture’s job was to create spatial transformations and coherence in three of the complex’s buildings and to create new and flexible rooms by means of both permanent and movable elements designed especially for the building in cooperation with the designers Salto & Sigsgaard.
A House Packed with History
In the Brewer’s Estate (Bryggergården), the brewer J.C. Jacobsen (1811-87) made his first attempts to produce bottom-fermented beer, thereby creating the basis for the Carlsberg Breweries. His son Carl, who later became a powerful patron of the arts and the founder of the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, grew up at Bryggergården.
Bryggergården was rebuilt in 1973-75 by the architect Wilhelm Wohlert who made a both radical and gentle transformation with respect for the qualities of the building and the courtyard.