2011-2013 | København, Danmark
Client: Danish Defence Facility Management
Project: Restoration of Baroque interiors
Ydelse: Architectural advice
Arkitekt: Nebel & Olesen Arkitekter/ELGAARD Architecture
Frederiksberg Palace was designed in Italian baroque style by architect W.F. von Platen and build for King Frederik IV between the years 1699-1704. Only a few years after, in 1708-9, the palace was extended by the architect J.C. Ernst, who among other things added the eastern cross-wing with the Eastern Living Rooms. Frederiksberg Palace was originally build for the royal family to be enjoyed as their summer residence, however in 1868 it was transferred to the Royal Danish Defence College, who moved in the following year.
The project includes restoration and refurbishment of the Eastern Living Rooms, Eastern Antechamber and Eastern Chamber of the Footmen as well as the king’s Cabinet and Grand Cabinet in the side wing. The Eastern Living Rooms were originally furnished and beautifully decorated as the king and queen’s private apartment. The beautiful stucco ceilings are executed by the Italian stucco workers; Francesco Quadri and Domenico Carbonetti, and the ceiling frescos are by Frederik IV’s court painters Hendrik Krock and Benoît le Coffre. The apartments pronounced marbled panels are equally from the time of construction.
The practice has carried out the interior restoration of the surfaces of the rooms and have replaced the existing parquet flooring within the main wing with new pine plank flooring.
A new and gentle method for cleaning the stucco ceiling led to the appearance of the clear-cut geometry of the original stucco ceiling and founded a sound foundation for new carrageen moss treatments (whitewashing of ceilings with carrageenan paint).
The fillings are skimmed using a sand based skim coat plaster and painted in dark baroque tones with pure pigmented colours, while the panelling has been cleaned, retouched and finished off with lacquer.
The restoration approach and chosen solutions are rooted in extensive archival studies, and the objective has been to create a connection and sense of unity of the interior of the rooms and surfaces, and to achieve a natural sequence of the enfilade of the bel étage.
The Eastern Antechamber and Eastern Apartment of the Footman are converted into classrooms while the kings Cabinet and Grand Cabinet in the side wings are for ceremonial purposes. New, modern installations such as white boards, projectors etc. have been carried out in a discreet and tailored idiom.