The project includes a total renovation and redevelopment of the listed property from 1881 in Frederiksgade 11 in Frederiksstaden in Copenhagen as well as two non-listed garage buildings from approximately 1930 in the courtyard. Both the interior and the exterior of main building are being renovated. The property was originally built for mixed-use on the ground floor and private homes on the others, including the top floor. For many decades, however, all floors have accommodated industry (machine factory) and offices. In future, three of the floors will contain businesses and housing.
Elgaard Architecture is the client consultant of the project, from the initial sketches for the authorities, including the application to the Agency for Culture and Palaces, tender, follow-up and construction management during the construction phase.
Total renovation and redevelopment of main building and two non-listed garage buildings
The Real Estate Company Frederiksgade 11 Aps
Øllgaard Rådgivende Ingeniører A/S, Gert Carstensen A/S, Rådgivende Ingeniørfirma
The distinguished properties surrounding the Marble Church owe their existence to the church itself. In 1874, Bank Manager C.F. Tietgen (1829-1901) bought the grounds surrounding the then unfinished church, which was abandoned as a ruin, in order to finance its completion.
It was architect Ferdinand Meldahl (1827-1908) who was in charge of the project, which was completed in 1885-86 and created an exceptional architectural entity around the Marble Church in the form of an arch of distinguished properties. Frederiksgade 11 is one of them. However, a slight twist to the story is that only the facades facing the Marble Church are built according to Meldahl’s plans. The buildings behind are designed by other architects and differ greatly from each other.
The Property’s Development Over Time
The property was designed by architect Henrik Hagemann (1845-1910), and its floor plan differs somewhat from Meldahl’s original development plan. The apartments consisted of large living rooms, rooms, maids’ rooms, kitchens, pantries and “air privies”. The latter was supplemented by “toilets” located in the backyard. The building was intended for mixed-use on the ground floor and for housing from the first floor upwards.
Correspondence in the City of Copenhagen’s building archive of the property shows that the building was occupied by the Nazis in 1940-45, and that the floors already before then were used for professional purposes instead of housing.
In 2016, the real estate company Frederiksgade 11 ApS acquired the property.