Aalborg Akvavit Distillery
The production of akvavit in the Aalborg Akvavit Distillery in northern Jutland, Denmark, ended in 2015. However, the listed industrial plant will be preserved as a main work of Danish industrial architecture and transformed to a vital neighbourhood of Aalborg. Elgaard Architecture has made a feasibility study and programming for the area in cooperation with Bjarke Ingels Group and Balslev Consulting Engineers A/S in order to revitalise the place as a future growth area.
New Future for Akvavit Factory
Aalborg Akvavit Distillery was a Danish akvavit manufacturer, which was founded in 1881 by C.F. Tietgen, Isidor Henius and C.A. Olesen. Initially, Martin Borch was the company’s architect, and after him Alf Cock-Clausen took over. Cock-Clausen designed the distillery’s large factory, which was built in 1929-31 in functionalist style, which was inspired by German architecture, but a rarity in Denmark. The building was later listed.
In April 2015 the production at the distillery ceased and moved to Norway. The buildings and the areas surrounding them – named the Liquor Site – was bought by a joint venture company.