Helligtrekongers Kirke
Back to project overview

Helligtrekongers Church

In 2006, the Vallensbæk Parish announced an architectural competition for a new church, the Church of the Epiphany (Helligtrekongers Church), because the old church from the Middle Ages had become too small for the number of participants in the church’s large events. The assignment was carried out by architect Peder Elgaard under the auspices of Erik Møller’s Architectural Office, now ERIK architects.

Facts

Year
2011-2012

Theme
Construction of a new church as well as a machine and workshop building and rebuilding of the personnel building

Client
Vallensbæk Parish

Helligtrekongers Church
The purpose of the decoration of the church was, among others, to devise five Bible quotes as design elements. The quotes were chosen by the Danish poet Søren Ulrik Thomsen, and the five scriptures are placed above the entrance, on the floor of the church aisle, at and on the altar and by the exit door.
Helligtrekongers Church
The decoration of the Church of the Epiphany has come about through close collaboration between architect Peder Elgaard, scriptwriter Allan Daastrup, poet and author Søren Ulrik Thomsen and representatives of the church council of Vallensbæk Church, Eli Hagerup and Karen Høgskilde.
Helligtrekongers Church
The new cemetery section is laid out as a lush park with trees and a varied forest floor with flowering small plants.
Vallensbæk Church

A New Master Plan
The number of parishioners in Vallensbæk is growing, and the parish therefore needed more burial sites both by Helligtrekongers and Vallensbæk Church. With Elgaard Architecture as advisers, the parish council therefore decided to transform the former “disaster cemetery” set up during the Cold War into a new park cemetery, and in this connection the cemetery gardeners’ facilities, such as the machine and personnel buildings, were also upgraded and rebuilt in order to integrate these and the new cemetery in the master plan for the whole area.

Vallensbæk Church
Vallensbæk Church was built during the years 1150-1200, and over time several buildings have been added to the area surrounding the church, including the personnel building from 1972 and the machine building from around 1985. The personnel building was rebuilt, and a new machine and workshop building was erected.