Kastrup Lime Works
The lime plant Kastrup Works was established in 1749 on an isthmus by the island of Saltholm. The plant grew building by building as changes or expansions in the production occurred. Today, however, only the oldest part of a much larger complex is preserved. Elgaard Architecture has prepared the overall master plan and a project proposal for the future housing and business use. We have also completed the authority processing for the Agency for Culture and Palaces.
Restoration, partly change of functions and recovery of 18th-century factory town
Byggeselskab Mogens de Linde A/S
Øllgaard Rådgivende Ingeniører A/S, Gert Carstensen A/S
Kastrup Værk, 2770 Kastrup
Old Factory Still Stands
Kastrup Lime Works, which is one of the few surviving industrial plants from its heyday in the 18th century. was erected by Jacob Fortling (1711-61). Fortling was an architect, a stonemason to King Christian VI and a pottery maker who immigrated from Germany during the years of Christian VI’s extensive construction activities. Fortling founded Kastrup Works in the years 1749-54, and it was one of the major industrial projects of the 18th century. He was granted exclusive rights to the extraction of limestone on Saltholm in the Sound between Denmark and Sweden and then established Kastrup Works with its chalk works, brickworks, faience factory and main and gateway buildings.
A Modern Art Museum
Apart from Kastrup Lime Works, Jacob Fortling also had nearby Kastrupgård erected as a country house for himself and his family. Today, the house from 1749-53 contains a modern art collection (Kastrupgårdsamlingen) as well as works by the Danish painter Theodor Phillipsen (1840-1920) and faiences from Kastrup Works.
The factory town became a listed property in 1971 and today goes by the name of Bryggergården (The Brewer’s Estate) because of the location of a brewery there in the 19th century. In 1847, Holmegård Glassworks established a branch in the factory by the name of Kastrup Glassworks. Production ceased in 1979.